Fore a new mom, it is important to have nutritious and delicious snacks stocked in her pantry for nourishing herself and replenishing her nutrient reserves. A breastfeeding mother needs 300-500 extra calories per day compared to an average adult woman. It can be sometimes hard to find healthy snacks quickly and moms don't have the luxury of cooking or making elaborate snacks for themselves usually.
New moms often need additional lactation support as well for increasing, regulating or stabilizing their milk supply. Unfortunately, most lactation snacks in the market come loaded with refined sugars or sweeteners that does more harm then good for a mother's body. The good news is that you can make delicious and healthy lactation bites in no time from the comfort of your own kitchen.
This simple recipe for no-bake lactation bites takes only 10-15 minutes to week, and would supply you with over a week of healthy lactation snacks that are easy to carry around with you and eat when needed.
5 - 10 min
- 1 ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 scoops vegan protein powder (vanilla)
- 5 scoop Lactation Smoothie Mix
- ½ cup almond butter
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips, raisins, cranberries or goji berries
- ¼ cup chopped almonds, pecans, or walnuts (optional)
- 4-5 Tbsp liquid (water/milk/nut mylk)
⅓ cup shredded coconut
- Add oats, protein powder, and lactation smoothie mix to a large bowl. For a finer texture, mix using a food processor.
- Add in almond butter, maple syrup/honey, nuts and raisins (or preferred add-in), and stir to mix well.
- Add liquid 1 tbsp at a time, and stir with hands until it reaches a thick doughy consistency
- Roll the dough into small balls with hands
- Take some shredded coconut in a bowl, and roll the balls in it to cover them with coconut
- Refrigerate the balls for at least 1 hour
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for upto 1 week, or freeze them to make them last longer
These yummy bites are full of nutrients that breastfeeding mothers and the baby needs. Almond butter, walnuts and coconut are rich in essential fatty acids that nourish the mother and also improve the quality of breastmilk. Oats are natural galactagogues and the Lactation Smoothie Mix is made with organic superfoods that have been known to increase milk supply for hundreds of years. Oats, protein powder and almond butter also makes these bites rich in protein which break down into essential amino acids.
Also check out the other delicious recipes you can make using Freshly Moms Lactation Smoothie Mix:
Lactation Smoothie Mix
For the smoothie lover moms, this 100% organic and nourishing blend of lactation superfoods will power up your day and get the milk flowing.
Posted by Shruti Mishra
Shruti is the founder of Freshly Moms. She is a graduate from Natural Gourmet Institute, NY and a certified IIN Nutritionist. She has been working with food & nutrition since 8 years and is also a fresh mom herself.